Our Children are growing up in the world very fast that’s totally different from what we lived in 15 years ago. These days are the “ digital days “ where even toddlers seem to know how to use smartphones, iPad before they start the talking. What happens when our children have uncontrolled access to technology?? Yes, their health begins to deteriorate. Technology Addiction will hurt our children beyond what we can imagine.
Technology has completely changed virtually in every aspect of our society. Over the past few years, from the way we work to the way we socialize people in the society. One of the most difference we find is about the children play and interact with each other from previous generations. Although technology has many positive benefits and it also has negative effects on children development and their quality life.
- 1 How does Technology Addiction harm our children?
- 1.0.1 Effects on mental health – Technology Addiction:
- 1.0.2 Effects on physical health:
- 1.0.3 So what can you do about this Technology Addiction ??
- 1.0.4 Digital detox
- 1.0.5 Share this:
- 1.0.6 Related
How does Technology Addiction harm our children?
Spending more number of hours on the phone/tablet can have worst effects on the child’s physical and mental health situation. Worldwide Researches have proven that technology addiction can delay and affect the development of children grow physically and mentally. Actually, Technology addiction limits the children’s creative, imaginative and physical challenges to achieve optimal motor and sensory development. It makes them extremely restless, resulting in behavioral issues and gets the problem at school.
You may also like to Best weight loss plans
One of the biggest differences in the way that children live today is that they don’t get as much as physical exercise as they used to. This is all because technology such as computer’s, smartphones, television encourages children to tend to spend much time seated when they go home from school. As anxious to prevent or put an end to going outside and playing with other kids. Because of this children, the obesity rate has raised over the past many decades.
Effects on mental health – Technology Addiction:
According to child health expert, Technology addiction is the new health problem in children. Gadgets like smartphones, iPad, tablets are the open to the whole new world to children of visual entertainment. It grabs their interest in an instant and can keep them addicted for hours end. But the real problem starts when their interest turns into addiction. Sometimes, it becomes impossible for them to spend a day without gadgets and worse, children may exhibit extreme withdrawal symptoms.
Recent researches on brain show that technology has the capacity to have an effect on the character, development. The brain’s part which controls executive functioning include impulse control, this is exactly as the same way as that drug like cocaine. Technology becomes more hyper-exciting that it increases the feel good neuron transmitter that plays a major role in addiction. It makes the children feel a powerful desire for more and more stimulation.
Technology Induced autism
Too much technology makes children lonely. Because of this reason, if it a Happy or sad they prefers the company of their gadgets to friends and family. They disconnect from everything and start creating their own world and they prefer to that. This becomes progressively worse their social and communication skills. Sometimes they don’t even maintain the eye contact with people when they are talking.
Unrecognized modern day disorder caused due to overuse of gadgets called as Electronic Screen Syndrome. Electronic Screen Syndrome is essentially a “regulations” disorder. The inability to modulate one’s attention, mood or level of the action in a manner that’s appropriate to the present situation or we can say environment. Interaction with electronic screen shifts the nervous system into the different mood like ‘Fight-flight’. This causing the child to become more stimulated. This leads to more symptoms like Depression, irritability, frustration, poor self-regulation, disorganized behavior, refusing eye contact, excessive tantrums, alteration in sleep, learning difficulties, bad memory, defiance and poor socializing skills.
Too much technology leads to dangerous conditions like neurosis and psychosis.
Spending time with gadgets can gradually extend to depriving the child of essential sleep time because it leads to late nights. Besides, looking continuously into the screen prevents the brain from resting their mind, which results in insomnia and disruption of the normal sleep-wake cycle. Lack of sleep and resting can lead to several health problems like depression and in worst cases, it leads to hallucination.
Unfortunately, children are finding more enjoyment and fun to play on their mobiles than with real friends. This leads to social isolation- the child a becomes the loner, an introvert who does not like to make socialize with people and hesitate to make friends. An extremely dangerous condition, social isolation can cause depression, distrust in others, anxiety and because of becoming lonely it leads to suicidal tendencies.
Effects on physical health:
Technology can cause many health problems in children includes:
- Child eyes will become weak and dry as they stare at the screen for hours.
- Continuous Head pain.
- While they continuously bend their neck and see into phones or tablets, which puts excess pressure on the neck, head, and shoulder. This causes several back and neck problems including spondylitis and back pain.
- Most of the times they sit with their back which causes back pain. sometimes lie down on the bed with head elevated this causes postural problems like hunching.
- Continuous movement and usage of fingers and wrist lead to injuries like the’ texting thumb’.
- Addiction to gadgets forces them to sit at a home, which means less outdoor and no physical activity. This makes them obesity and over weight.
- Child development issues in both mentally and physically.
- When there are no physical activities their bones and muscles will become weak.
Technology can make a child fall into different traps and dangerous on the internet. Sometimes in social media, they may find strange friends, who can end up hurting them ( child sexual, sexual abuse, money extortion, drug network and much more). Children may also become victims social bullying, which can completely affect their mental health harmful.
So what can you do about this Technology Addiction ??
Our children are taught to use gadgets like iPad, the tablet, computer at an early age. This has been deemed a good thing. Because the world as we know it now would bring to an end to operating on many levels if it was taken away. But how much technology is too much for our children at an early stage?
According to the National Institute of Health(2013), Some tips can be used for reducing our children’s time spent in front of screens.
- Set a time limit
- Equal time for playing outdoors
- Homework takes priority
- Family time takes precedence
- Open door policy
The following points are the tips for reduce screen time:
- Frequently talking to them about the benefits of being active- like having more fun with friends, more energy to do things. Developing new skills and staying healthy at a healthier weight.
- Set an example for our children by leading a more active lifestyle yourself. Limit yourself from screen shows to no more than two hours per day.
- Get a true sense of your family to them mainly the situation by logging time spent in front of screens ( i.e. Tablets, phones, computers, TV) and spend your time more physical actives( ex: playing music, exercise, cooking, playing outdoor games, playing with toys).
- Show and do some active shows while watching TV. Such as Yoga, stretching, sit-ups and push-ups. So that screen is not necessarily associated with an activity.
- Set a household rules like fix a screen time for two hours per day. Enforce this rule in such a way that to remove all devices and unplugging the computers after limit has been reached
Few more points to consider – Technology Addiction
- Create a screen free bedroom for children. Children who have TV in their room and to watch 90 minutes more TV per day than those who do not have TV in their rooms. And they also tend to spend less time with family when they are free.
- Create Screen free meal time- do not allow children watch television or mobiles while eating. Make the meal time as a family time. Not only children but all the family members should not be in front of their phones or computers. Make meal time as a family time.
- Provide other activity options and do your best to facilitate them- give children other ideas like art & craft, painting, playing in outdoor, developing a hobby of reading books, playing a different sport instead of watching TV.
- Do not use TV as a punished or a reward activity as it may make TV seem even more important than it is.
If you feel that your child is to be full of love by technology. It’s advisable to do digital unhealthy substances. Take off everything from children that’s got to do with technology- phones, tablets, play stations, laptops for a few days till they habituate healthy activity. There might be strong resistances in the starting but don’t lose heart. Make them understand the reason why you are doing so. After everything is settled, train and teach your child to use technology judiciously, under supervision. We know that when children turn to addiction they feel bored, lonely, purposeless, make feel isolated.
The only solution to help them is to connect to meaningful real –life experiences and relationships and extend them unconditional support. for more info you can visit wiki